Sunday, August 17, 2008

Into the Unknown

Today I begin on a trek with my friend to her home (老家 how else to translate that) in 石家庄市 (Shijiazhuang City) in 深泽县 (Shenze Xian). She was one of the roommates in Hangzhou, and we became good enough friends at that time that she invited me to come visit her during the school break when she returned home since it is just outside Beijing. She has spent the last few days in Beijing, and this morning we are going to buy bus tickets to ride there together. We were going to stay up all night and watch the flag raising ceremony in the morning (complete with music and scary troops!), but she didn't make it past 3 AM. I still haven't slept since sleeping for under 4 hours does me no good, so I am currently wired on caffeine and anxiety about traveling to rural China. She thinks I won't be able to get accustomed to the life their, and is impressed that I am trying to stay for a few days rather than just 1. We'll see how this goes, I am returning on my own so it is simply a matter of how long I am willing to endure whatever it is I face out there.

I am ready to get stared at. The journey begins.

Edit : the journey ended on the way there. I was exhausted from the all night the night before and collapsed on the bus ride there. I scared the high hell out of some Chinese people even though I was only down for like 10 seconds apparently.

No comments: