Monday, August 17, 2009

The Return to Crazy Fat Uncle Joe's House of Noodles and Fixin's Featuring Lil Wayne and Lil Jon

We finally made our return trip to my favorite restaurant in all of Hangzhou. The name started out simply as Fat Uncle Joe's noodle house, but it has since evolved to being so much more. After ordering he yells the orders back at the kitchen, yells any modifications to the kitchen, yells at the kitchen to hurry up, and in general just yells at the kitchen. It is so entertaining, and that in conjunction to the full view of the kitchen through the big windows means dinner and a show!

This is the legendary place that serves the best green been dish in the south, along with a whole assortment of great spicy foods and noodle dishes. We introduced some of our friends to this place, and the result was eating 5 meals in the last 3 days there. They liked it just a little bit.

We also went out to karaoke and to a tea bar, but those pale in comparison to the glory of food (obviously). The karaoke itself was quite fun, but was mainly me singing Chinese songs. Every now and then the Chinese friends would sing with me, but they all seemed so uncharacteristically shy. Bob and I noted the price of imported liquor, and decided we have to go back since it's the only place you can get a bottle of American alcohol at a reasonable price without going well out of your way. That means better karaoke stories hopefully coming soon.

The tea bar was a bit of a let down, when we got there they were near closing so the selection was limited. We decided on cold iced Chinese teas, and drank them with whatever food products we could force them to bring us. The Chinese were excited about the tea, Bob and I just needed to eat something.

A small side note, as I was on my way to the webcafe to compose this I got to witness a sting on local cart vendors. They are not legal when selling fruit and other food, and when the police showed up they flying in every direction. It was pretty crazy, I'd never seen the police actually crack down on the street vendors before. This means no more salmonella pears. Damn.

1 comment:

Scrapster said...

I want to go to there (by there I mean CTUJHNFFLWLJ) when I get to China. Excitation!