Monday, August 31, 2009

Lots of Days In Summary

I am going to write in short blurbs. I wrote this entry last night, then the internet in the web cafe went down. It was actually somewhat entertaining, because though I lost this entry I did get to see an amazing show when all of the World of Warcraft addicts got angry at being disconnected. I thought a riot was about to erupt, there was so much yelling and waving of fists and brandishing of empty water bottles at computer screens. I just sat there and played solitaire waiting for the internet to come back while they endlessly typed passwords and hit reconnect every 10 seconds, all the while screaming into microphones "Can you hear me now? The internet is down! I don't think I'm connected to the voice server... can you hear me NOW... how about NOW?" After half an hour I went home and resolved to write a concise version today.

First and perhaps most important was Bob's departure from Hangzhou. I felt a pit of sadness erupt when I finally saw Kate and JJ off after my going away party, and it only deepened when Anita left. When I saw my mom, dad, and brother for the last time for months I felt like the pit in my stomach couldn't get any worse. When Bob left, I realized that I was truly alone. I kept telling myself it was like the other times in China, but in reality it isn't. I had the option of readily available American culture in immediate interactions with Americans should I need it, but this time around I only have the comfort of Chinese friends. I have noticed that I miss small things that I didn't know I was so addicted to before. I miss sarcasm, inside jokes from youtube videos, talking about which football team was favored to when what, and dozens of other small pop culture points that just can't be understood by foreigners. I am happy over here, there is no doubt about that, but I am also very aware of a certain emptiness. Something is missing. I am not sure who or what it is, but something is missing.

I went to Beijing last week, but most of the trip was spent eating and sleeping. I started getting sick before getting on the train to Beijing, and it only worsened once there. I ate a lot of great food (yes, I have pictures and videos), and in between meals I basically slept. I think in retrospect that I got hit by the flu, and I hope that was the case, because then I am immune for later this year. If I am not immune, working with 60 kindergarteners will definitely give it to me.

I have been busy the last few days finalizing preparations for beginning work. I went through the health check, registering at the police station, and the preparing of lesson plans for classes this week. There are so many stories I am neglecting, but after a few days have passed they don't seem as amusing as when they first occurred. I can't wait until I get internet in my apartment so I can update frequently and truly share my experience in China.

Students arrive tomorrow, and I am very nervous. Apparently Bob crashed and burned in one of his three college classes, and instead of focusing on his success in the other two I am worried about his failure in the one. I have discovered, after much preparation, that kindergarten is going to be much harder than teaching college ever would be. Especially since I am working for the foreign branch of the most exclusive and famous Kindergarten in Hangzhou. I didn't realize how well known it was until I started telling people the name, and after many of the same responses I am starting to feel the pressure.

Thankfully, the faculty has all fallen in love with me. They are all just amazed by my Chinese, and think I am just the best thing since sliced bread. The first day I met all the teachers we were supposed to meet at the school at 8:30, but my coworker decided not to come. He had many excuses including back pain, headache, our contract not saying we start until the first, and being tired, so I just let him stay at home and sleep and rolled in by myself. After 4 hours of the Chris Marco show, I called him to wake him up and meet us for a big lunch in our honor. At the lunch (which I got LOTS of videos of) we ate at an epic Chinese version of Benihanas. I am stating now that anyone who visits me in Hangzhou must go with me to this restaurant. It is pricey in Chinese terms, but it was so nice and so amazing. All the main teachers were at the lunch, and I basically did all the talking and impressing since my cooworker does not speak Chinese. I was his translator for the meal.

The headmaster has told me that the faculty likes me, which came right after dinner and was said in a very direct way as if to criticize my coworker Phillip. In addition to what had already occurred, it turns out that the Chinese people have a lot of trouble understanding his English. He was hit by a car 15 years ago, and after a 10 year recovery when he speaks he sounds very much like Ozzy Osbourne. I must admit I have trouble understanding him at times, too. I am not sure English teaching was the best career choice for him, but I'm committed to helping him as much as I can. Our headmaster is already attempting to get him to work at the branch below us instead of our branch, so we'll see how things work out in a few weeks.

Aside from that, I've been frequenting karaoke places with friends in the last few days. I have learned many new Chinese songs since I came to China, and I've been totally dominating the karaoke scene. I'm pretty much awesome.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you need a reliable teaching assistant that actually speaks a little a little English. Fo shizzle dizzle my nizzle.