Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Randoms Things I've Noticed in China

People in the gym locker room attempt to congregate nonchalantly whenever I change clothes. They are not nonchalant. Nonchalant means not staring at my penis and following me when I go to shower.

This country has way too much bread, I have inordinately large amounts of bread at every meal. All of those anti-carbohydrate doctors would go into shock if they saw the percentage of my diet that is carbohydrates.

Yesterday a naked man in the locker room was staring at his package in the middle of the locker room. He answered a phone call, talked, hung up, then went back to the middle of the locker room and resumed staring at himself. I'm not sure what he was looking for or expecting.

Asking for a scoop in the lunch line typically means I get 2 or 3 enthusiastic scoops as they attempt to cover my tray with generosity disguised as rice.

Chocolate preserves sanity.

Apparently, for JJ, anything but chocolate causes 拉肚子。

Clothes dry faster when hung outside in the 100 degree plus weather than when placed inside the suspiciously untrustworthy dryers.

Anything can be tied to a bike or motorcycle for transport. Boxes, printers, refrigerators. On that topic, green means go. Red means go. There is no yellow.

My English is getting progressively worse, but more worrisome is that not enough things in China phase me anymore. I think I am going to start carrying around a notebook to write things I notice, because I have about 15 "This is China" moments every day, but I forget them quickly since they happen so frequently. "This is China" is often abbreviated to TIC, and it is a term I got last year while studying abroad from two other UT students. Due to the language pledge, we jokingly converted it into 这是中国 (zhe shi zhongguo), and we like to say zh- sh- zh- as the acronym while on the streets. I would say that every bus ride to or from the gym has a zh-sh-zh moment. These include weird sightings of both good and bad nature, and all in all I think the zh-sh-zh moments are part of why I love this country.

zh-sh-zh

No comments: