Monday, September 15, 2008

中秋节 - Mid Autumn Festival

Mid Autumn Festival happened yesterday, the holiday designated for spending time with family members. Since I didn't have any family in China, I spent the day learning how to make Chinese food with Chinese people and the night out looking at the lights and moon.

I made all sorts of goodies, but the most important/impressive is my ability to now make and wrap dumplings. And or the naysayers out there, such as Jessica Lin who insists that it is difficult to make them pretty, I would like to say mine were moderately attractive and showed definite improvement over the course of making about 50 of them
.
After the giant lunch/dinner, we took a long journey to a big fancy park bedecked with giant art displays adorned with lights. The majority of them looked like holiday floats made for showcasing during the night with blinking lights, and some of them shot water or rotated to music. Mixed in with all of this was all the ancient architecture of the park itself, namely the bridges, which were also bedecked with lights for the holiday. The tradition is to go out and look at the moon, but since it was overcast and a bit smoggy we opted to look at the lights instead of the slightly gross yellow moon.

I would show you pictures of all this, but I forgot to charge my camera the night before and there was no charge left when I went to grab it for picture time. Yes, I am quite dumb.

No comments: